Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Only Uni (Sushi Series, Book 2)

by Camy Tang
Author Website: www.CamyTang.com


Available in paperback. Zondervan, 2008; ISBN: 0310273994; 368 pages.


This is the second book in Camy Tang's "Sushi Series." It continues with the four Christian cousins of the Sakai family. While the first book centered on Lex, this one focuses on Trish, the next in line for OSFC.

Trish has recently discovered that her boy-crazy behavior and less-than-consistent faith is alienating her from her best friends, her cousins. She pulls an all-nighter in the New Testament and emerges with three sure-to-win rules based on the Corinthian letters. She's determined to stick with them toward the end of a closer relationship with God and a renewed trust from her cousins. She wants to prove to them and herself that she can be a "good girl." The only problems are the super hottie she's working with and her totally sexy ex-boyfriend whom Grandma persistently pushes toward her. Okay, so those aren't the only problems, but they're enough to start a snowball of drama.

The characters are well developed, authentic and disgustingly likeable. While reading this book I confessed to my husband that I probably wouldn't befriend these women -- at first glance they seem false, pretentious and totally self-absorbed -- but I found myself LOVING them! It makes me wonder how many ladies I've falsely judged in real life. How many Trishes have I ignored just because I prejudged not to like them?

Final Thoughts: Camy Tang has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Some sequels aren't worth the time it takes to read them, much less the money and energy spent to produce them. This one is fabulous. I liked it better than the first. It was funny, fast-paced, and spiritually challenging. Definitely one I'll read again.

No comments: